In Season Fruits and Vegetables in November
In season vegetables and fruits actually taste a whole lot better if you buy them in season. A lot of yummy things grow in the winters as well. Such vegetables and fruits can actually create a pop of color to your dishes and add a unique flavor as well.
Fruits in Season
Some of the fruits you can get during the November season include:
- Apples have 2500 varieties in the United States. They come in all sorts of flavors from tangy, sweet, and tart. They are the perfect fruit to add some amazing texture and flavor in baked goods; after all, there is nothing more American than the apple pie.
- Cranberries are the perfect tart and sweet combination. They taste amazing when added raw in salads, smoothies, and salsas. They are also the perfect companion to Turkey at Thanksgiving.
- Kiwi is the perfect sweet and tart Vitamin C rich fruit.
- Kumquats are a really sweet fruit that is beloved nationwide. The citrus fruit has a lot of vitamin C and fiber, which is really good for you.
- Oranges are available all year round, but really do taste their best in November when they are in season.
- Pears are the perfect crisp and sweet fruit to poach or turn into a delicious peach cobbler.
- Pomegranates are packed with antioxidants and are the perfect sweet and tangy fruit to snack on.
- Persimmons resemble tomatoes but have a custard-like softness that tastes amazing.
- Quinces are aromatic fruits containing a high nutritional value. They form the best desserts when poached in syrup or wine.
Vegetables in Season
Some of the vegetables you can get during the November season include:
- Artichokes make a great savory dish and are rich in Vitamin C.
- Beets have an amazingly sweet, earthy texture which tastes great in any dish. They can be steamed, roasted, or grilled and are rich in iron and calcium. They are the perfect addition in any salad.
- Bok Choy is the perfect crispy vegetable for salads and broth soups. They are rich in Vitamin A and resemble cabbages.
- Brussels sprouts can be roasted with chorizos for the best spicy dish. They are one of healthiest vegetables since they include omega 3 fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins.
- Chards are leafy greens which have the highest nutritional value among vegetables. They include vitamins K, A, and C, as well as magnesium, potassium, iron, and fiber.
- Fennel which is an aromatic vegetable which tastes perfect in slaws and salads. It is a really popular ingredient in Mediterranean recipes since it adds a nice freshness ay dish.
- Turnips are zesty, peppery root vegetables tasting amazing in soups and stews. They have a lot of nutrients and can even be added to salads after grating.
- Winter squash has a really healthy dose of vitamin A.
- Sunchokes are a really nice nutty and sweet flavor. They can be boiled, fried, grilled, pureed, steamed, and roasted.
As always, if you have any questions we are more than happy to help. Eat colorful and in season – your body will thank you!